I'm young. 18 years old to be exact, but my heart and mind say otherwise.
At a younger age I was never able to understand most things that were brought upon my life. I was constantly facing new struggles that kids I was surrounded by weren’t dealing with and may never have to. I grew up surrounded by medical terms, doctors, and hospitalizations. I became familiar with medication lists so long that they consumed 3 full pages.
My whole life I have been raised through challenges, broken dreams, and learning to adapt to new lifestyles time and time again. As I began to get older and wiser I learned to accept my fate in life, I learned to face difficulties with nothing but a positive outlook, and I learned that there is no way to change your past, but there are ways to make your present and future worthwhile.
There have been times where I was not able to keep my vigorous frame of mind. In these moments I would feel myself slowly drowning in sorrow, defeat, but most of all, guilt. I felt guilty because, even though I may not have been in the best situation, I was far better off than some people in this world. These are the moments that have helped define who I am. People will hear my infectious laugh during my most difficult intervals, I will have an everlasting smile on my face when all I want to do is break down, and no matter what is going on in my life, I am always putting forth the effort into making others happy.
For me to be able to say that I am satisfied with myself, life, and all of its entities is a wondrous feeling and gift. Every day I fight the odds and live with a mad, passionate determination, which no matter what, will never be destroyed.
I’m young. 18 years old to be exact, but my heart and mind say otherwise.

Monday, August 13, 2012

An incredible difference!

A week after being admitted and I feel an INCREDIBLE difference. 
I did PFT's (lung functions) earlier and they were 38%!! That's 20% higher than what they were a week ago. I also haven't needed to use oxygen in over 24 hours. 

Here's a list of what has been going on.
Thursday, August 9: My doctor was listening to my lungs and said something sounded wrong so he did an X-ray and it showed that my lower right lobe had collapsed. We started doing manual CPT on top of my treatments four times a day so I was getting airway clearance every 2 hours. My doctor also wanted me to start walking around more. I was able to do two laps around the Peds unit (with oxygen.)

Friday, August 10: My best friend Kayla came up and I was able to walk all the way down to the cafeteria  (with oxygen) without feeling to worn down. Oxygen levels were improving and I was running at about 94%/95% with oxygen. My mom came up to stay for the weekend. Weight: 103. 

Saturday, August 11: I got another X-ray and it showed that my lower lobe had improved and was starting to re-inflate itself. I was able to take off my oxygen for a couple hours at a time. 

Sunday, August 12: I was able to leave the hospital for a couple hours (without oxygen!) and went to lunch with my mom. When I got back my O2 levels were good and I haven't needed oxygen since..even overnight. Weight was still 103. 

Monday, August 13: PFT's were 38%! No oxygen all day. Stopped doing manual CPT and am now back to doing just my vest four times a day Me and my doctor are going to talk tomorrow about when I am able to go home.
So overall, I am doing A LOT better. My weight still needs improvement, but I can deal with that. 

Here's some pictures I took while being bored..
Till next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment